Damaged teeth are embarrassing, but modern dentistry has state of the art technology to help you deal with this issue. Drs. Doug and Clete Huhn offer their patients dental crowns at their Orlando, FL, office to mask those unsightly teeth so you have a beautiful smile.
Dental Crown Installation Procedure:
There are three steps to getting your unsightly tooth capped:
- Step 1: Your dentist will numb the area surrounding the tooth and file down the tooth to reshape it.
- Step 2: A custom-made crown is designed at a laboratory using impressions taken of your teeth.
- Step 3: The crown is cemented over the tooth using a specific type of cement or resin.
So why get a dental crown anyway?
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth exposed to decay and susceptible to breakage. The dental crown reinforces and helps protect the tooth.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Dental implants
- Stained or discolored teeth
How do I take care of my crowns?
- It goes without saying that you need to brush twice a day and floss before bed to avoid plaque buildup and reduce the chances of cavities forming and impacting the dental restoration.
- In addition to brushing and flossing, your diet can contribute to your crowns lasting up to 8 years, or more. Don't bite into ice and make sure to avoid sugary foods like soda and candy. Eating healthy foods like apples and carrots will scrape plaque off your teeth.
- Bruxism, when someone grinds their teeth, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution with your Orlando dentist.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact your dentists in Orlando, FL today!